Many people begin their day with a cup or two of coffee, and some enjoy sipping the beverage throughout the day. It can be a great way to get a boost first thing in the morning, but you may worry that coffee isn’t the healthiest choice for your aging parent. Being a family caregiver means you always want what’s best for your senior, and that means understanding how to help them make healthy choices. Fortunately, studies have shown there are many potential health benefits to enjoying coffee. Of course, you should always talk to your senior’s doctor about any concerns you have, and follow their guidelines for their diet, as what is good for one person might not be good for another due to health issues.
Some ways celebrating International Coffee Day on September 29 may be a healthy choice for your aging loved one, and for you, include:
- Coffee has been shown to cut pain by up to 48 percent.
- A cup of black coffee contains around 1.8 grams of fiber, which is a great contribution to daily fiber needs to support digestion, weight, and heart health.
- A Harvard study indicated drinking coffee daily markedly decreases the risk of suffering Type 2 diabetes, when there is no additional sugar or sweetener added. Just one cup decreases the risk by around 9 percent, while a cup of decaf decreases the risk by 6 percent.
- Studies have shown drinking coffee decreases the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Even for those with genetic influences, drinking coffee reduces the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.
- Drinking four cups of coffee a day reduces risk of developing, or experiencing a recurrence, of MS.
- Studies have shown strong evidence that drinking coffee reduces the risk of certain types of cancer, including liver and colorectal cancers.
Helping your aging loved one get the nutrition they need on a regular basis is just one of the ways senior care can help them to stay healthier as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can provide transportation for your senior to go to the grocery store and stock their home with the healthy foods they need, help with meal and snack preparation to give them satisfying and delicious options, and also encourage them to make good lifestyle choices such as drinking enough water. A senior care provider can help your parent in many ways to live the lifestyle they deserve, while managing their health and safety in the ways that are right for them.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Liberty Lake, WA, please contact the friendly staff at Love at Home Senior Care, today. Call (509) 204-4088
Latest posts by Andy Niska, Owner (see all)
- FAQs About National COPD Month - November 8, 2018
- 3 Tips for Motivating Mom to Exercise - November 1, 2018
- Start Planning Holiday Gatherings Now to Avoid Stressful Situations - October 25, 2018